Quick Links

Quick Links

Garway Primary School

School Transport

School transport 4-16 year olds

The Local Authority (Herefordshire Council) has a duty to provide home to school transport assistance for some children, depending on their journey to school.

Their website states:

  • We can start providing transport as soon as your child starts school.

Normally this will be a bus or rail service from their home address to their nearest school. The service will run at the beginning and the end of the normal school day. No transport assistance is available for out of hours activities.

We measure your child's route to school using the shortest available walking route. Most children will walk less than a mile to their transport. We'll never expect your child to walk further to their transport than we would expect them to walk to school.

If your child is attending their nearest school 

We will help your child with home to school transport if:

  • They live over three miles from school (over two miles if they're under eight)
  • They have free school meals and live over two miles from school
  • Their route to school is less than three miles, but too dangerous to walk even when accompanied

We cannot help with transport if you choose to send your child to a school other than the nearest school. Transport is only available between the school and your home address: you cannot use this transport to take your child to a second address or childcare facilities.

School and college transport policy amendments

We consulted on our school transport policy and post 16 special educational needs transport policy between 4 September and 18 October 2013. 

Following the consultation Cabinet agreed to amend or remove the discretionary transport policies with effect from September 2015.

Further details can be found on our school and college transport policy.

How to apply for school transport - 

Complete an application form for school transport assistance

Follow the above link and search for School Transport.

If you believe you qualify for free transport or you would like to apply for a seat under the Vacant Seat Payment Scheme please complete the application form for school travel assistance and return it to School and College Transport, PO Box 236, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE.